There is something deeply discomforting about people proclaiming their search, or achievement, of love on their blogs and other online exhibitionia. It discomforts me.
Now on one hand, one could say that because I am a lonely tart, these things make me envious. But no, it isn't envy. Envy is a bitter, bitter emotion, and is accompanied with a desire to emulate, or acquire. This discomfort is milder, and accompanied with a strong desire to distance myself from such an act. There is no longing here.
I think I know why.
(But of course I do, the former was just a dramatic preamble)
Something about me believes that Love, like all other important things, should be kept inside. That it benefits from a quiet sort of reflection, uninterrupted by the vain egoism that accompanies these obviously exhibitionistic endeavours.
I'm of the the belief that anything published online carries with it a statement to three people - self, addressee, and public. A statement to self - that I am in love. A statement to one's beloved - I love you this much. A statement to the public - we are in love. Some may contend the last point, but why else would one chose for it to be on a public domain? A blog is not a diary. It is a performance.
In light of this, one questions the need to make a statement to the public. It might be the same as having the status of being attached, but I disagree. People agree to tell others that they are attached for very practical reasons - firstly, to communicate the nature of the relationship between the two of them, and secondly, to shut out other possibilites, for the moment. A public declaration of love, with all its romantic flower power, is not quite the same.
So we've established that there's an audience. But who? I have an image in my mind, I must have got it from the television. Passionate cassanova makes fervent and sincere declaration of love in the middle of rose-laden park, to pretty young lady who is oblivious to what's coming. Ladies on the street stop, look, and sigh.
Herein lies the irony. A public declaration of love is a testimony to one's ability to love. One's prowess in the romantic arts. It's not just for the beloved - it's also for the would-be suitors as well. A public declaration of love is, quite possibly, the opposite of simply saying we're attached - because the focus lies in the fuss, and not in the two individuals. Instead of blocking out possibilities, it embraces new ones.
The other thing is, in something as subjective as love, any declaration is always wrong. Love is in the moment, when someone says those words, that phrase, that just resonates within the moment. We can reflect on it, and learn lessons from it, or even map out the beautiful implications of it all. But trying to capture the emotion is nearly futile, apart from that grasping, ethereal sense that is left in our hearts.
No comments:
Post a Comment