It's late at night again. It appears that I am only able to write at unearthly hours, perhaps I could ask my future universities to organize specially-timed examinations to coincide with these hours.
The Catholic News (My Mother's, I must emphasize) encourages christians to boycott The Da Vinci Code, and now my mother has warned me rather benignly that I am Not to watch that infernal satanic movie. I will make bookings shortly.
But on a less rebellious note I wish the church had more faith in its followers. It is rather easy to observe that the conspiracy theory in the Da Vinci Code is: a) hyped-up and probably exaggerated, b) draws very shaky links from even more shaky evidence, c) would hardly affect anyone who honestly believes in christianity. Faith is suspension of thought - Thus anyone who is sufficiently indoctrinated with faith would dismiss it as all hogwash instantly. If you ask me such a test of faith is useful in sieveing out the strong believers and also to gauge if their followers do actually understand what they believe in. The church is just scared of losing face la.
Elections are very silly. I won't put my two cents worth on the gomez issue, but Sylvia Lim sums it up very nicely when she says she's amazed at the number of permutations the PAP has come up on this. Permutations - what a lovely, mechanical mathematical methodological word. It event starts with a "P" too. She should take lit, that woman.
Last note: Ideas do not feel. They do not cry, do not bleed, they do not love. Yes I know this is from V for Vendetta. But to shed blood and tears, to tear down people's lives for the sake of an idea, to sacrifice oneself and one's loved ones and future for an ideal they cannot cry over, bleed for or love... I do not understand how there are people who manage to do so - the idea must be so captivating. Such an experience must be enriching indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment