Well then. Here we are again.
Enough is enough was referring to the past few entries. As much as I hate to admit it now, they were getting a wee bit high-flown and pretentious. I forget these things sometimes you know, it's easy to forget when your propensity to show off takes over.
There are no short-cuts to better writing, you know. Just because you learn a few complicated words and throw them into what you write is no measure of how well it is written. Just because you pick up a few poignant phrases in your latest reading doesn't mean you understand what they truly mean, much less recreate them in the right context. There are no short-cuts to become more poignant, to convey more and say less. Throwing in complicated words to cover up the lack of clarity, it doesn't work that way. I forget that sometimes.
So therefore, I am guilty of writing the way Tessie Tan Rui Rui writes her rubbish fanfics. Instead of looking to distill what I have to say, I have looked to complicate and fabricate matters.
And it is not just writing.
You have to warn me of these things you know. Faults like these just creep up behind you without you noticing, and then become ingrained in you. When you finally do realize them, if it's too late you just accept them as part of your being, which is the slippery road down to hell. At least now I can nip them in the bud.
You have to warn me of these things, yeah?
No comments:
Post a Comment