Hah. talking with hadri and smritti always leads to deep intellectual social-lamenting discussions. Although the words "hadri" and "intellectual" are in fact polar opposites. However talking was good. There is a problem. We have to identify it.
It cannot be all dandy and happy. There cannot be no problem. If there was no problem we wouldn't be missing ri, missing our old classes, and basically not wanting to come to school. There is a problem. A problem that impedes you from coming to school, a problem that entices you to skip class, a problem that demands non-commitment and superficiality.
A problem that has changed people. For worse mostly.
I was never able to identify with the high school culture before. Never. I thought the whole idea of this cliques, outcasting, and the general meaness associated with it was an wholly American thing. And i thought that was why the Americans were all so stupid, they were busying politiking around in high school that they never had time to actually use their brains in class. After all, a class used to mean that everyone in it was your friend. That everyone in it was accepted generally, and while some were closer to others, it was generally possible and easy to hold conversation and tell jokes with ease.
A class meant the people you ate lunch and watched movies with.
It never mattered if you were fat. Or stupid. Or lame. Or looked funny. Your class accepted you. Period. Granted, there were the occasional arguments, the fights, the bitching, but generally speaking, all that could arise only with the underlying consciousness of the friendship, and that it would all blow over. Because in the end, it was your class. All that fighting and arguing and bitching was precisely because it was your class.
What is it now?
The great divide isn't a good thing. There is no one class. There are two factions. Which really shouldn't be the case.
Yet I am as guilty of it as you are.
We all have our idiosyncrasies after all. Some may be more tolerable than others, some less. I'd like to think though that most of us carry good intentions within our heart. And I've always hoped that that was truly enough. Enough for you to be accepted.
But the problem doesn't see it that way.
The problem, the culture. It encourages immediate judging by appearances. Which is really quite lamentable. I mean ostracizing, as a form of punishment, or at least a way to express a certain unhappiness or dislike for a behaviour that is distinctly wrong is somewhat acceptable i feel. I cannot fault tsus for that. But ostracization as a form of division, a way to delineate the social orders and class is despicable.
I don't know. When were there that many outcasts in RI? In fact, you could count them with your two hands. Perhaps one. How is it that in RJ, supposedly a continuation of RI, there is a massive boom in the number of them?
It is such that there is always an underlying fear of commiting social suicide.
We really should do something. I don't know. Something. It doesn't have to be drastic and transform the class into utopia. But it should at least turn it into a civil, polite and cordial society that we all once knew classes to be. I'm not saying this as an observation of one event. It is widespread within the problem. The culture.
I am as guilty as you. Perhaps it is time we made amends.
and You. we don't need you. really. You are the source of all animosity and malice that expresses itself on your very face.
No comments:
Post a Comment