Today I am going to stay at home and recreate myself. (That's another interesting word, recreative/recreation. Shall write about it another time)
I detest the word pity. Perhaps detest would be an understatement, actually. Pity, pity. It carries with it a moral perch, an underlying hoity-toity-ness that belies such arrogance. I reserve pity only for my enemies, I pity only those whom I also hate.
Just say the word. The "P" sound at the beginning causes me to recall the word "pathetic". I hope I need not explain that word. The associations with pity already bring to mind a certain condescension when it is spoken. I have problems with the abrupt way it ends as well, a harsh sound expelled between the teeth. It is almost like the seething hiss of a malicious serpent. All these hard consonants that abound are too harsh.
Phonetics aside;
It is a short word too. For the noble intent it masquerades as, of such wonderous empathy for another, it is spoken quite abruptly, almost as though the speaker believes the other's plight is so inconsequential it warrants nothing more than a short 4-letter word. "I pity you" conveys nothing in its desire to connect "I" and "You". Three monosyllabic words. How can you contain such grandiose, such ideal feelings in three short bursting sounds? You cannot express sympathy, much less empathy, understanding, and a desire to help in the word pity. All you express is a veiled condescension that will frustrate the listener even more, and allow you to walk away with a smirk as you mull contentedly over how lucky you are to have avoided such a plight.
But perhaps the worst part of the word "pity" is not its pretence at nobility. The worst, as I'm sure Bree's Husband's Mistress would agree with, is that pity comes with it the sentiment that all hope is lost for the person. (I need to find a better vocabulary). To pity someone is not to do anything to help, it is not even to lend a listening ear. It is to preach about how flawed human nature is, it is to condemn the listener to his fate. It is to say, simply, that you deserve it. The judgemental quality about it is probably the worst thing about pity.
Reserve pity only for those you truly hate. In its arrogance, condescension, and condemnation, I assure you it will infuriate and frustrate them to no end. Who knows? You may even consign them further to despair, and that would be sweet revenge indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment